Wednesday 20 June 2012

Top 5 Literary quotes about alcohol:


This week we reviewed Hemingway’s For Whom the Bell Tolls. This novel, like much of Hemingway’s work, is based around war. So I decided to post a couple of American authors and their esteemed weaponry.

Another topic that always plays a large role throughout Hemingway’s oeuvre is alcohol. So why not indulge...


1.  Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. – Ernest Hemingway

2.  An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you - Dylan Thomas

3.  The problem with some people is that when they aren’t drunk they’re soberWilliam Butler Yeates

4.  Work is the curse of the drinking classesOscar Wilde

5.  I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson  


While writers are heavy drinkers and usually command the terrain of the written word, W.C. Fields is certainly worth a mention. The comedian, actor, performer and all round genius provides some of the most ironic, yet earnest, quotations regarding alcohol and it’s consumption. Well worth a read:


I drink therefore I am – W.C. Fields

Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water – W.C. Fields.

A woman drove me to drink and I never even her the courtesy to thank her - W.C. Fields


No comments:

Post a Comment